Sunday, November 18, 2007

From Stephanie: On Election thoughts!

I'm bloody depressed about the elections! Rudy & Hillary???!!! I guess the buzz is right that she has a lock on non-college-educated women.

I have been telling people I know who have a line to Edwards to press him to nail her on the bankruptcy bill, on which she "evolved" and then I think skipped the vote on the final version. The Harvard professor (a woman) who wrote a book about the squeezing of the middle/ working class by banks and credit card companies said on Bill Moyers' show a year or more ago that Hillary, in effect, promised she would focus on the issue and then did a complete turn-around. Finally, I think she (Hillary) was critical of the bill because of how it would affect child support payments (I forget how), and I see that as positioning herself for the women's vote, which she does seem to be getting.

That bill is a total capitulation to the banks and a terrible further turning of the screws on the less affluent. Do you know how Obama voted on the bill? Maybe he would take her on on that issue. I think it would have great resonance with the entire electorate under the $150,000 income level.

No comments: