Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why can't we Dems learn to celebrate our accomplishment?

Dear Obama/ Biden Supporters:


When are we Democrats going to learn how to celebrate our accomplishments? Why aren't we partying and getting out the word that now that we have finally wrapped up business for the summer( by approving additional border security money) and passed more legislation than anyone since the Great Society programs of Lyndon B. Johnson! All we seem to hear from the press is that Congressional Dems are on the defensive and getting ready for terrible losses in both the House and Senate in upcoming midterm elections. Call me Dorothy from MO (not KS ,please sorry Suzi, Barbara etc. ) but this isn't the way I see it at all. Okay, it is terribly frustrating that much of the public is unimpressed by the legislation signed into law in the first two years of Obama's term:the $787 billion stimulus package,an anti-age-discrimination law,long sought after tobacco regulation,expanded community service(as indicated by the terrific Conference of volunteering and Service started by White House in San Fran and then here this summer in NYC!),Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act(so proud of you Lilly!!!),credit card consumer protection,the landmark health care law,Pentagon contracting changes, Wall Street regulation,tax cuts,credits and so many more . Now I ask you, how does this stack up against any other President in past history except FDR's New Deal and before mentioned LBJ? Why are we not out there naming specifics like this and asking what has the GOP done for you? Okay, yes they got us in two wars, yes they used up all the Clinton surplus, yes they cut taxes for the richest Americans, but what for you other than veto continued small business support, energy controls and on and on. Get out there and tell it like it is-we have the facts and the record and in the words of Nancy Regan(someone I thought I'd never quote), "Just do it"!!!!.



A person I am fond of quoting, Kathy from MO says it like it is:"The bills that we passed in spite of the worst obstruction in Congress in history were historic. The thing that Dems are terrible at is messaging, and we had better get good at it really fast! The Karl Rove group and Americans for Prosperity (really should be Rich Guys for our Own Prosperity) and other rich hate groups are set to spend millions in Dem districts. The first thing they are attacking is the stimulus. They have managed to confuse people and make them hate it. They are saying it is the same as Bush's bank bailouts of 2008. Obama is getting blamed for how all of that was handled even though he was not even elected yet.

The rethugs are great at getting a lie going and all of them staying on message with it. They are great at wedge issues and sound bytes that really have no substance! The Dems, this summer, need to get some good memorable phrases that they all repeat in every public forum. There is so much we have accomplished and so much harm that the Republicans have done. People need to know what is really going on! Hammer them on voting against small businesses and job creation, against the unemployed calling them lazy, about wanting to do away with Medicare and Social Security, about voting against the first responders of 9/11, about apologizing to BP for having to set up a fund to pay for their horrendous damages, and wanting to protect the Bush tax cuts for the top 2%. They are liars and hypocrites about being concerned with the deficit on the backs of our children! Hogwash, if they were concerned about that they would let those tax cuts for the wealthy expire! Messaging is everything. If the people don't know what is going on, it is our fault for not getting it out there!"



I must tell you that the comments made by many of the GOP about President Obama are not only ridiculous and disrespectful but not rooted in reality. How about the ad made for Dan Quayle's son Ben where he charges that "Barack Obama is the worst president in history". The GOP is counting on a stumbling economy to cause the electorate to lose sight of what has taken place in the last 10 years .Under the last 8 years in the Republican white House

as I said before, we had two wars, one unnecessary, a trillion dollars of tax cuts for the rich ,deregulation of the financial sector and an economy teetering on another Depression. Note that under President Obama another depression was avoided,the economy is turning around, health care and financial institutions have been substantially reformed, one war is winding down, the other attempted to be properly fought and the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy are going to expire. I ask you what the GOP are talking about,do they think we Americans are morons? I love one of the statements that really made an impression on me at the Women's Leadership forum in DC. Barack Obama is working for the next generation not the next election. Now it is up to us to get the word out and make our accomplishments know and celebrated!!!

I will be on vacation in Fantasy island (Nantucket )for the next two weeks. I intend to rev up for the fight ahead with facts and more facts and was to get the message out. If you haven't gone to our Facbook or blog pages here is that info once again. Gerald and I are working on making our interactions with each other easier and more accessible to all! See you in September except when I am able to get on to Facebook from ACK!

Love,Sunny

A Mama 4 Obama

PS



Please join me at both of these sites where you can make statements and they will reach many more people than in the past. In order to get to the blog please go to http://progressivegovernment.blogspot.com and read my updates and make comments



You can also find me on Facebook at "The Sunny Side - Political news for the Friends of Progressive Government" at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/The-Sunny-Side-Political-news-for-the-Friends-of-Progressive-Government/141511589209655.







From Elizabeth in Mamaroneck: **Note from Sunny,so sorry Judy-having just sat with you at Nita's event this is truly embarrassing. I apologize-Elizabeth is right you are so special and so good as County Legislator this needs to be pointed out!!!!



Great job, dear Sunny! One point: Judy Myers is Westchester County Legislator, elected member of the County Board of Legislators. She's not elected to the NYS Assembly. This is probably just a typo, but Judy does such a superb job, day in, day out, that I think it's worth clarifying.



From Val in Ohio:

It was a more streamlined presentation. There were times with the blog that I had to cut and paste because the words ran outside the margins for my e-mail. I'm a bit confused about the links. I guess the main website will have all of the blog postings and that's all I need.

I'm all for anything and anyone who can lessen the load for you. You have gone over and beyond the call of duty to keep the blog up and running. I, for one, appreciate all that you do.

From Lilli in NYC:

We at Big Brothers Big sisters are pleased to announce:

September 25,2010, the Sixth Annual RACE FOR THE KIDS in Riverside Park will take place! The event was started to increase the awareness of Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC’s mission and to underscore the importance of health and exercise among the thousands of children they serve in NYC. It has evolved into their biggest and most fun filled event of the year.!


Race for the Kids is a great thing to do with children as they have partnered with Nickelodeon (Sponge Bob, Dora the Explorer, the cast of DeGrassi High and Nickelodeon’s Brain Surge game show will all be at the event) as well as adult friends (LeBron James, Wyclef Jean, and Nick Canon will also be there!)


Please join us in supporting BBBS of NYC's efforts to profoundly impact the lives of young people in NYC by providing them with a mentor and encouraging an active lifestyle. You can do this by either joining or donating to our team, Lillipalooza!

HOW TO SUPPORT OUR TEAM:

If you would like to join us on race day:

The below link will take you to our team page, click Join Team, -- there is a $25 registration fee: http://www.raceforthekids.org/goto/lillig
If you are unable to attend but would like to donate to Lillipalooza:

To donate to Lilli's team: http://www.raceforthekids.org/goto/lillipalooza


From Ron R in NYC:

Sunny...Whats with your friends from Missoura....Reactionary to the

max....Not helpful for our guy.....Ron....

Subject: Yahoo! News Story - Missouri vote puts health care back in

crosshairs - Yahoo! News

Missouri vote puts health care back in crosshairs - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_overhaul_insurance_mandate


From Roz in Larchmont:

I think you are the most wonderful. Please keep me on all of your lists. You light up my day.

From Fran in Larchmont:

..."Everything I have read about the new HHS regs indicates that women in the most vulnerable health will be excluded from benefitting from Health Care Reform of 2010 if they want to terminate an untenable pregnancy. The Hyde Amendment forbids the use of federal funds for abortion. Obama succumbed to pressure from the antis and issued an executive order on March 24 affirming that the Hyde Amendment would extend to the Health Care Reform bills. These new HHS regs go beyond the new law regulating what certain women are allowed to do with their own money. This is not, in my mind, SAME. This is new BAD.

Answer from Lee to Fran(above e-mail):

The people/women that we are talking about did not have insurance before and therefore did not have abortion coverage. This program is giving them health insurance and it does not preclude them purchasing abortion coverage or paying for an abortion themselves which they would have done previously. It is not true that women in this pool are being given less than what they had access to before.

From Megan in CT:

Great email Sunny! I'm so with you - I was actually cheering Robert Gibbs this week for his comments! (Which I thought also showed a good sense of humor.) Have joined your Facebook page!

From Betty in Scarsdale:

Welcome to the newish world!! Great to catch a glimpse of you yesterday at Nita's event!!

From Dani in Brooklyn:

Love the new site - congratulations! We need your voice and collectivity more than ever if we are to surmount the mounting chaos. Let the Sunnyside shine far and wide...


From Isolde in Brooklyn:

Fabulous and hi-tech!

Hope all is well.

From Gary in Yonkers:

Congrats on going FB!

I've 'Liked' ya and look forward to the future updates.
Keep on keepin on Sunny!

From Betty in Scarsdale:

I don't know if you get these but here's some great fighting points! Its very frustrating how the dems have allowed the crazies to take over a great progressive agenda--look @ immigration--the much needed stimulus etc. I'm with you! Think Bill was trying to nudge all to speak up and out!!!

Subject: Learn how to fight like a liberal - the Tea

I am writing to invite you to set aside your good manners, your tolerance, your measured understanding of policy differences, and your earnest do-gooder ideas for a just a moment to join me in telling the Tea Party what you really think of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA7yluQDfpY

I have created an instructional video and a website with exciting products to help you.

Not sure you want to fight like a Liberal? Consider this:

On August 28th, the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech" will be celebrated in Washington with a Tea People rally featuring Glenn Beck speaking from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial (anyone remember where MLK gave his speech?).

The 3 Tea People who want to be U.S. Senators have ideas like the following: 1) repealing the 14th amendment to exclude the children of illegal immigrants, 2) paying doctors with chickens and 3) believing the coal mining industry can self-regulate.

Oh and 57% of Tea People think George W. Bush was a good President (FYI: at this point I don't even think George Bush thinks George Bush was a good president).

Maya Angelou once said, "When someone shows you who they are believe them." Well, Tea People, I believe you.

From Sister Suzi in KS after seeing the Youtube above addressing the Tea Party Crazies!

I loved the video. Can’t believe what people will believe. Thanks to our media we can persuade the masses to believe what they want them to. Most of America really doesn’t care about anything and because of that they are easily swayed to think like the loudest person they are hearing. Talk to you soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA7yluQDfpY

#2


From Kathy in KCMO: After seeing the YouTube

Great video! These people and the statistics about them are truly frightening!

These tea baggers make me sick! They are crazy. We can only hope and pray that the majority of the electorate sees the tea party candidates for who they really are and keeps them out of power!

The Dems may be disillusioned that Obama did not get us everything we wanted in the first 18 months, but they had better get out and vote this fall or we are in deep sh*t!



From Stef in NY(Gillibrand Women's OUtreach Coordinator):

I am so excited to be following you on facebook- "The Sunny Side" is great!!

Can't wait for the women's week!

#2

I hope you are enjoying your summer! With campaign season well underway, I wanted to update you on Kirsten's work and ways for you to be involved!

Save the Date for the Women's Week of Action October 3-October 10, 2010: Kicking off on Sunday October 3, the Women's Week of Action will mobilize women across the state to hold phone banks in their homes, organize their friends, and inform their networks about how important it is to turn out the vote for Kirsten. Stay tuned for more information or contact me at Stef@kirstengillibrand.com or 212.481.2010 with any questions!

The Senator has been working hard in Washington and across New York State and here's some news we didn't want you to miss!

Kirsten attended the BlogHer conference in NYC on August 6th where she sat down with a group of 25 women bloggers for a Q&A. The topics ranged from the importance of electing more women to Congress and what Congress can do to incentivize more women and girls to go into the sciences to the issues of cybersecurity and pay equity.

Click here to read CNN's piece about the event. Pictures of the event are up on the Women for Gillibrand Facebook page.
Also last week, we saw history get made with the confirmation of only the 4th woman Supreme Court Justice in US history, Elena Kagan. Senator Gillibrand was proud to vote for Kagan's confirmation, saying:

"Solicitor General Kagan is a strong, brilliant New Yorker, and I was proud to cast my vote for her confirmation to the Supreme Court. Solicitor General Kagan's historic achievements as the first woman to become Dean of Harvard Law School, and the first woman to serve as U.S. Solicitor General, demonstrate her level of excellence and strength of character. Her record of achievement, respect for the rule of law, and ability to build consensus earned her strong, bipartisan support. I believe she is exactly the kind of Justice we need on the high court and I am pleased my colleagues joined me in voting for her confirmation."Please mark your calendars October 3rd-October 10th for Women's Week of Action and start thinking about how you would like to be involved!

Stay tuned for more updates and please don't hesitate to be in touch!
From Barbara in KS:

Trust me, this one is a winner!!

So cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y2bG71Pess

Cute - add this to your presidential repertoire.


From Chris in Fl (originally from KCMO)

Kathy B,from MO, told me about your blog and I'd like to post my articles to your fb page and your site. My main question is how do you want me to do so? Also I can always use advice on how to make my writing better and how to reach a wider audience. Are there any guidelines you need me to follow? I'm looking forward to working with you to help support our President and progressive causes nation wide. I've been so bewildered and frustrated this year! I can't believe people are actually considering giving control back to the Republicans. Their platform has gotten so far right, so out of touch with what America needs that it scares me. I'm really trying to be a voice, to be the cry to action that I firmly believe people need, especially where I live. There are so few democrats, let alone progressives, that I think those of us here are scared to be noticed, to come out and be heard. It's a challenge but I hope I end up making a difference. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you!
#2

Here is the link to my examiner page. http://www.examiner.com/democrat-in-panama-city/christopher-hamm Take a look and lets see what we can do! I do have another article I'm getting ready to post, just a little review of our gubernatorial candidates, which I should hopefully have up within a day or so. I really hope that the Republicans here will spend so much time fighting each other that they don't even notice how well the Democrats do. Ever since I moved to this state I've been so shocked at how long Republican mismanagement has been allowed to continue. I suffer no delusions it will change anytime soon but I sure hope it happens soon enough. The state economy is doing so poorly and the only answers coming from Tallahassee that you hear in my neck of the woods is "more conservatism," "cut taxes," "no Obamacare," and of cours no change that could actually help the state if it doesn't involve pandering to the far right wing's delusions. Well let me know what your "tech guy" says and I'll let you know as soon as my next article is up! Take care and look forward to hearing from you.




**** Note from Kathy about Chris:

I think he wants to post on the site. He has starting posting his thoughts op/eds on The Examiner in Panama City, FL. They are very good and insightful pieces. I think they would really compliment what you and others post. I am impressed with his passion and his writing. He is one of Marisa's best friends from college. You can have him post his articles with you or a synopsis of them with his link so people can read the whole article. Is that a problem for you? I enjoy his articles, I think your friends and readers will too.

From Pam in Larchmont:

I think Obama just put the nails in his coffin.Agreeing to the Mosque near ground zero..terrible..Bloomberg agrees..I strongly disagree
That is a nice humble opinion u sunny little girl:)..my humble opinion is ..Obama is acting like Jesus and Jesus was crucified!This is not the ideal world and if I heard many top islamic leaders in the media denouncing this cr**,then it would be ideal,but there r not!!They are not well represented,it's not right,no way!!but that' my humble opinion and I send u hugs!!:) oh well..who knows..I wish I were wrong about the islamic people,but it's their own fault and I stand by my convictions..and u know I'm pretty laid back..but,not on this as much as I love bloomberg too!

#2

:)good am...NYer article is so small and long..will pull up on computer when I have time..blackberry too small.Anyway,got alittle of it.I assume Obama and Bloomberg just did the politically correct gesture knowing it will never be allowed.I'm hoping that's the case.I don't care if it's not right on ground zero..it's something I will always think is a big mistake.It's gotten to much coverage and controversy at this point.They should forget it! I do not control the world,so I will watch,be agitated and hope for the best.The way the world operates is not always easily understood,but I have confidence in the flow of the universe that all will be as it should be...otherwise I will be in a state of agitation about all I can't control..oui?Time will tell and we will see!

From Elizabeth in Mamroneck:

Proud « The Reality-Based Community

Here is a copy of Obama's great speech last night.

#2 Here is article on mosque!

Click here: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2010/08/16/100816taco_talk_hertzberg

..Ah, the “Ground Zero mosque.” Well, for a start, it won’t be at Ground Zero. It’ll be on Park Place, two blocks north of the World Trade Center site (from which it will not be visible), in a neighborhood ajumble with restaurants, shops (electronics, porn, you name it), churches, office cubes, and the rest of the New York mishmash. Park51, as it is to be called, will have a large Islamic “prayer room,” which presumably qualifies as a mosque. But the rest of the building will be devoted to classrooms, an auditorium, galleries, a restaurant, a memorial to the victims of September 11, 2001, and a swimming pool and gym. Its sponsors envision something like the 92nd Street Y—a Y.M.I.A., you might say, open to all, including persons of the C. and H. persuasions.

Like many New Yorkers, the people in charge of Park51, a married couple, are from somewhere else—he from Kuwait, she from Kashmir. Feisal Abdul Rauf is a Columbia grad. He has been the imam of a mosque in Tribeca for close to thirty years. He is the author of a book called “What’s Right with Islam Is What’s Right with America.” He is a vice-chair of the Interfaith Center of New York. “My colleagues and I are the anti-terrorists,” he wrote recently—in the Daily News, no less. He denounces terrorism in general and the 9/11 attacks in particular, often and at length. The F.B.I. tapped him to conduct “sensitivity training” for agents and cops. His wife, Daisy Khan, runs the American Society for Muslim Advancement, which she co-founded with him. It promotes “cultural and religious harmony through interfaith collaboration, youth and women’s empowerment, and arts and cultural exchange.”

Click here: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2010/08/16/100816taco_talk_hertzberg



From Kathy in MO:

I think he said the right thing on the Mosque. He is defending the Constitution. That is what he is supposed to do! It is amazing how the haters are all about "defending the Constitution" until there is something in there they don't like! The progressives have been hard on him because they didn't get everything they wanted right away. He had to compromise or we wouldn't have gotten anything. I think they are mad at advisors like Rahm Emanuel who encourage him to start the bargaining with giving something up instead of going for it all and then compromising. I don't like Rahm. I think he is the antithesis of Obama. However disappointed some may be, they had better look at the big picture and keep the Dems in power because things are going to get especially ugly if the rethugs get back into power. They are being driven in all they do by the far right wing crazies so their legislation and actions will be that much more extreme. We have no time for midterm apathy this year. This is too important!

Give me a "Professor" any day! He is smart and practical and so good for our country. It is too bad that we haven't gotten that message out!

You are the miracle worker, Sunny! You keep us all going strong! Keep inspiring us.

love,Kathy

From Ruthie in AZ in response to right wing e-mail ;anti-immigrants and anyone different in that state:

Between the drug cartels and the non-hispanics who are coming across the border you almost wish for the good old days when it was just the hispanics who wanted to work. There have been too many murders within a few miles of the border and it's pretty much out of control. I sure don't know the answer and one of the problems is even if they send in the guns and control Arizona's border there is still NM and Texas and California. Don't get me wrong here - I HATE Arizona's governor and on that count I'm not happy with Obama that he took our wonderful Janet Napalitano who was such a good governor and put her in Homeland Security. Not that she isn't doing a good job but he KNEW what he was leaving us with and it was just bad timing. So, I just re-read the e-mail from the "lovely friend in Scottsdale" who sounds unbalanced to me. I think this woman is just your basic right wing republican who believes whatever the republicans send out. Yes, Arizona is in a sad state when our best choice for senator is actually John McCain!


From Val in Dayton,Ohio: (who alerted me to stores supporting local tea party owned businesses):

Guess this isn't working out for them.

DAYTON — Tea Party Exchange founder Donald Hutchinson’s website touts the advantages of using “local, tea party owned” small businesses. But when he needed a database programmer for the site, Hutchinson outsourced the work to India.

Hutchinson whose politically conservative exchange has become increasingly controversial since his rollout last week, said he sees no conflict in promoting American companies while using an Indian programmer. “I designed the website myself. However my programmer is outsourced,” said Hutchinson, president of Washington Twp.-based Essex HR and Associates. “Local database programmers are welcome to talk to me.”

Last week the web pages at www.teapartyexchange.org said “Website Outsourced to DESIGN Web Graphic,” an Indian web-design company. On Friday, Internet bloggers picked up on it, with some criticizing and others supporting outsourcing. By Monday the website had been changed to say “Website by: DESIGN Web Graphic, USA.” “I’m not opposed per se to people outsourcing, but your outsourcing something that’s supposed to promote local business, that seems hypocritical,” said Dayton blogger Steven Saus, who began the internet blog discussion on his ideatrash.net. Hutchinson said he changed the name on the website because he now has a partnership with the Indian company and will be offering website services. DESIGN Web Graphic officials in India could not be reached Monday. ..http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/some-businesses-are-backing-out-of-the-tea-party-exchange-program-864860.html

#2 Good news, tea party boycott shut down!

Today's news article indicated the program has shut down. No word of any refunds being issued. I'm hosting a post card party this weekend so I'm sure we'll be working for all of the candidates with a "D" beside their name.


From Doni in New Jersey:
No one said it would be easy re-drawing the American political map on Israel.

The right-wing voices that have dominated the landscape for decades certainly weren't going down without a fight.

It's no surprise to see leading neocons and figures from the religious right unite in a new effort to attack courageous politicians who have chosen to stand with JStreetPAC for security through peace and for American leadership to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. [1]

Let's be clear -- their goal isn't simply to hurt particular candidates but to intimidate others from speaking out courageously on our issue in the future.

To succeed in our mission to create new political space in Washington, we have to prove the power of our movement by delivering meaningful financial support to the candidates we endorse.Two of the most important this cycle are Senate candidates Russ Feingold and Robin Carnahan. Both are willing to stand up for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies and both are in the fight of their political lives.The non-partisan Cook Report just moved Feingold's race from lean-Feingold to a toss-up -- and Carnahan's been rated a toss-up for months. [2] With razor thin margins like this, your $50 contribution can really make a difference.

As a 3-term Jewish Senator who is known for his independence and intellect, Feingold has been a strong friend to Israel during his time in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee.

He vigorously opposed the Iraq War, stood up on civil liberties and has championed a host of progressive issues. On Israel and the Middle East, Senator Feingold told us during his interview that JStreetPAC's views were right in his "sweet spot" -- standing up for Israel, but recognizing the urgency of achieving a two-state solution now.

Feingold is likely running against a self-funding Tea Party candidate in Wisconsin, so he'll need all the help he can get from pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans like you.Currently serving as Missouri's Secretary of State, Robin Carnahan made her common sense pro-Israel views on the Middle East known in her interview with JStreetPAC. She believes strongly in the importance of US leadership to secure Israel's future as a Jewish, democratic home through a two-state solution and countering Iran through tough, strong diplomacy paired with sanctions. Her opponent is already blanketing the airwaves with attack ads; she'll need help from us to fight back.Click here to support both Feingold and Carnahan with a gift of $50 right now.The course President Obama and his team chart in the Middle East will be impacted greatly by the lessons they draw from the 2010 elections about the shifting politics around Israel and the Middle East.Will JStreetPAC and our friends do enough to prove to the White House and the political class in Washington that it's politically feasible to make bold moves towards peace?That's up to us.Please stand with us and our candidates and help us win -- not only in November, but in the broader fight for peace and security in the Middle East.


From Robin Carnahan's Campaign in MO:

Let me say in no uncertain terms: we're in this race to win.

And in the weeks leading up to the election, we'll be holding Congressman Blunt accountable for his 14-year Washington record of wasteful spending, corruption and sticking it to the middle class.

http://www.robincarnahan.com/nineyears

Please donate to help us keep this on the air!
Our first television ad, "Nine Years Later," outlines how Congressman Blunt, the ultimate Washington insider, helped wreck the economy and was then a key leader in passing the $700 BILLION Wall Street bailout.
But don't worry about this ad hurting Blunt's feelings; the Congressman doesn't seem to shy away from his big business buddies. In fact, he has already taken $1.6 million from Wall Street special interests, and he's been using that money to attack Robin.

Take a look at our brand-new ad and see for yourself. And help us continue to fight back against Congressman Blunt's attacks.

Thanks, and please show this ad to your friends in telling them what's at stake in this election.P.S. Congressman Blunt's record represents the very worst of Washington, yet he's attacking Robin who has consistently stood up for middle class families. Please donate $25 to help us keep this ad on the air.


From Kathy in MO: Lets all join Kathy and Judy and get Robin elected!!!! Come on MO,make us proud!

You are right. We have to pull everyone together. There is no way Blunt should be leading in the polls. He is corrupt as they come. They are putting "rubberstamp for Obama" in front of Robin's name at every turn. We have to get the word out about who this guy is and what his agenda is. It is truly vile. The only way the rethugs can beat us this fall is if we don't show up. They keep talking about an enthusiasm gap. Well, we had better find some enthusiasm before it is too late!

Don't worry, I am on board and will start working for Robin tirelessly. After Labor Day sounds like a good target to start really pulling people in.
Have a wonderful time in Nantucket. We are trying to relax and beat the heat in CO. Then it is back to work!

From Betty in Scarsdale:

Subject: [KGTruth] great new Siena poll
More good news:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2010/08/one-more-from-siena-good-news.html

“For the first time, more voters -- 38% -- would rather elect Kirsten Gillibrand to the Senate seat she was appointed to, rather than the 36 percent who support ‘someone else.’ Additionally, her favorability rating improved to 40-29% , up from 34-29% in July,” Siena's Steve Greenberg said.

The poll shows an uphill battle for Gillibrand's three GOP rivals:

She leads Bruce Blakeman 55-28%, up from 51-28% last month. She leads ex-Rep. Joseph DioGuardi 54-29%, up from 51-29% in July. She leads David Malpass 55-27%, up from 50-27% last month.

Among Republicans, DioGuardi continues to lead with 19% to Blakeman's 8% and 5% for Malpass (In July, it was 24-7-5). The big winner among enrolled Republicans: Undecided, with a comfy 68%.

#2(Refers to video in upper part of e-mail)

The Tighty-Righties apparently did not appreciate our light-hearted (and very stylish) campaign to expose the Tea People for who they really are.

Greta Van Susteren, Michele Malkin and thousands of others lit up the web on Thursday after Ben Smith covered our campaign on the front page of Politico and the story was picked up by Huff, CBSnews and others.Bill Kristol joined the bleating today. "The "f*ck tea" movement-that's what the left has come to," he lamented. While he did concede that the Tea Party hasa "slightly" negative image (30 positive - 34 negative); he boasted that it was "considerably better" than either the Democratic or Republican parties (sort of like being the very biggest chihuahua in the dog park, no?). In an effort to civilize the dialogue, he encouraged the "pro-Tea Party wing (dare I say the pro-American wing?) of the American public" to . . . . "choose the high road: . . . "light a candle!" . . . "ignore the left's sad vulgarity" . . . and "choose cheerful doggerel."

The Tea People did not get the memo."You will go down in flames." "ALL LIBERALS SHOULD BE STERILIZED", "The agenda project is nothing more than a who's who of socialists and communists", "I have guns." And my personal favorite "You are just a left wing whore and an enemy to my country."Jeez. Tea People.It's just a Tea Shirt. Oh, and a mug. Maybe it was the instructional video that set them off. FT girl is after all way hotter than Sarah Palin.
If you haven't done it already, we hope you will join the 30,000+ people who have watched our informative video and visited our beautiful website for handy tools to show the Tea People what you think of their idea to hold a rally at the Lincoln Monument with Glenn Beck on the Anniversary of MLK's I Have A Dream Speech.Come on! It's fun.
PS. If you know any Tea People personally, you may want to let them know that we are just getting started - there's even more fun ahead.

From Robin in North Salem,NY:

Fabulous and all so so true.and when she runs for Prez I will be right there campaigning for her!
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand - A Breath Of Fresh Air!
Editorial
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/editorial/2010/08/17/sen-kirsten-gillibrand-a-breath-of-fresh-air

Really good one!!

From Ross in Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's camapign:

We have less than nine days until our key FEC fundraising deadline at midnight on August 25. Kirsten said it best - she may not have the bottomless pockets of these Republicans, but she has something even more powerful: She has you.

We're counting on grassroots donors like you to push back against the self-funders and corporate-backed Republicans. They're going to use their millions to buy air time and spread lies, we have to be ready to take them on before the September 14th Primary Election Day.

Click here to rush your donation of $5 or more to Kirsten's campaign. With less than 9 days left before this critical filing deadline, Kirsten is counting on you to help her push back against the self-funded Republicans.Thanks for stepping up,

From Brave New World:

“There is a coordinated effort to devalue everything you value. There is a coordinated effort to highjack this country.”

This is how Glenn Beck, the man who recently compared Obama’s America to ‘Planet of the Apes’ began his morning referring specifically to Brave New Foundation and attacking our work during his radio show.

Beck’s attack came in response to the billboard we just put up in Phoenix through Cuéntame protesting the immigration law SB1070. Beck himself refers to the law as ‘anti-immigration’ NOT ‘anti-illegal immigration’. Because that is exactly what this law is. It is not comprehensive immigration reform; it is an attempt at institutionalizing discrimination and racial profiling. And we will defend our right to speak up now and in the future. We will not be censored or silenced.

Beck is rallying his troops against us, “So, you're going to have to get involved because look who paid for this billboard…Robert Greenwald…one of the things he did was he bashed the FOX News network with a movie Outfoxed.”

Beck is angry because we consistently point out the mistruths in his and Fox’s propaganda. We must be prepared to keep fighting and defending our rights.

This billboard was decided on and money was raised by the 38,000 members of Cuéntame. Beck is coming after us because we’re so effective at getting our voice heard. Our position and billboard have already been covered by media from the Associated Press to local news stations.
Brave New Foundation stands behind Cuéntame and the collective voice of its members. We will not be silenced by Glenn Beck and his outlandish, fear-based attacks. There is a place for dissenting opinions and Brave New Foundation will continue to be the catalyst for creating important dialogue needed to affect social change.
“I mean, this is it, gang. This is who's controlling your country and now they're coming with Brave New Foundation.”
Your gift of $15 will help us speak loudly, even when attacked by the likes of Glenn Beck.



From Fran in Larchmont:

You will remember that when we were together at EngenderHealth Joseph Ruminjo referred to the fact that they had just been in Washington testifying before Congress. Here’s more about that experience:

EngenderHealth’s Dr. Joseph Ruminjo Testifies before Congress

On June 10, Dr. Joseph Ruminjo, the clinical director of EngenderHealth’s Fistula Care project, and Josephine Elechi, the First Lady of Ebonyi State in southeastern Nigeria and the founder of the Mother and Child Care Initiative, were among a group who briefed members of Congress on obstetric fistula. Read more:

http://www.engenderhealth.org/media/press-releases/2010-08-10-ruminjo-congress.php One hopes that someone was listening!
From Joyce in Harlem,NY:

A WOMAN’S PLACE IS IN THE U.S. HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES

Don’t let the naysayers call this race before it has even begun.

http://donations.joyceforcongress2010.com/

We only have one month until the September 14 primary election. I am Joyce Johnson and I need your financial support now because the FEC filing deadline is August 25th.Perhaps you have been following this election in the news.Some journalists say its going to be an uphill battle against Charlie Rangel. I agree. My campaign is gearing to unseat a 38-year incumbent who has enough time to get too comfortable and take his seat for granted. Some media outlets in recent articles about the race chose not to even mention the name of the sole woman running.But while the pundits are speculating, my campaign workers and I are knocking on doors, making calls, stuffing envelopes and reaching out to people at farmer’s markets, street fairs, and cultural events throughout Northern Manhattan. This kind of work takes support.

I need support from folks who believe that there is indeed a real choice for Congress this September 14—Joyce Johnson. As a 30 year community activist, I have volunteered my time towards programs and policies that promote economic development, affordable housing, education, and women’s empowerment. We need leadership committed to fighting for decent living wage jobs, better schools, and a healthier and safer community. You can help us reach the voters who are looking for another option. You —not the media— will help determine this race. Please go to: http://donations.joyceforcongress2010.com and contribute as much as you can: $50, $100, $250, or if at all possible, $500.

No comments: